Most parents believe there is a better way to train. There is.
Let Coach Jay help your child have a great summer of training so they can have a great cross country season and the chance to run PRs.
Summer Training with Coach Jay
Summer training has always been about putting in the miles. The problem in 2021 is that kids have a weaker musculoskeletal system than athletes in previous decades (think more video games and less activity).
What today’s high school runner needs is a thoughtful progression of mileage and intensity, plus an integration of the “little things” to stay injury-free.
While many coaches have caught on to the importance of doing the little things, they don’t match this important work with the training theme of the day. They simply ask kids to “do some core” at the end of practice and call it a day. That’s better than nothing, but it's not optimal training.
What are the "little things" and what will a training day include?
Watch the video to see examples of the following, which athletes will do each day they train.
- A dynamic warm-up
- A customized run
- Challenging general strength training that eases gradually
- Mobility work
- Rope stretching
- Finally, fascial release work most days (which can be completed later as needed)
A great cross country season doesn't happen by accident.
Give your child the gift of arriving at the starting line this fall knowing they put in their best summer of training. When you enroll your child in Coach Jay’s Summer Training you’ll get:
- Daily running workouts, with an appropriate progression of mileage, based on where your child left off during the track season.
- Daily non-running work assignments – the “little things” – that match the theme of the day’s running workout.
- Training videos where world-class coaches teach those little things.
- Adjustments as needed to their plan, based on family vacations, summer job obligations, etc.
- Weekly webinars in June to ensure we're on the same page.
- Six Q&A webinars – two in July, two in August, one in both September and October – to answer specific questions about where athletes are at during different phases of the year.
- The camp gear bundle, including both a short sleeve and long sleeve Nike Dri-Fit shirt.
Camp Director Jay Johnson
As a high school athlete, I desperately wanted to improve but I didn’t have a solid summer training plan.
I never felt confident when I toed the starting line in cross country. But as a collegiate athlete I trained under an iconic coach and trusted my training.
I went to the line centered and confident, knowing I had done everything in my power to run a great race. While I only won one cross country race in college, the confidence I had as an athlete was a powerful gift my coach gave me. I’d love to help your child have the same confidence this fall when they toe the starting line.
I’ve been infusing the “little things” into my training plans for over a decade. For most coaches, non-running work is frosting on the cake. But in my training it’s not only vital to performance, it’s as important as the running training.
Yes, your child will still spend more time running, but they should know that to stay injury-free they’ll need to “strengthen their chassis” in addition to the traditional “engine building” runners have done for decades.
What worked 10, 15, or 20 years ago for coaches and athletes won’t work today. Kids simply don’t have the same foundation of general strength previous generations had. Consistency is key for long term success in the sport – I can help your child have a consistent summer of training.
Coach Jay’s knowledge of the body, and how it performs best leads to his incredible ability to turn a distance runner into a finely tuned machine.
His track and strength workouts led me to a national title at the USA cross country championships.
- Brent Vaughn, former Nike and University of Colorado Runner
Summer Training - 12 Weeks
My monthly coaching rate (which I’m not currently offering) is $297. Normally it would cost you almost $900 for three months of coaching, which means this program is over 50 percent less than my normal fee.
We offer sibling discounts, team discounts and discounts to children of first responders and the armed forces. Email us here for more information about these discounts.